Give Local York Business Fundraiser's Toolkit
Thank you for being a leader in this giving movement!
As a Business Fundraiser, you will inspire and empower your employees, customers and/or vendors (stakeholders) to give back to causes that are meaningful to them, learn about new ones, and spark a little friendly competition that will benefit our community.
Give Local York is a 24-hour call to action to get online and give! Hosted by The White Rose Leadership Institute, Give Local York, as the largest day of giving in York County, helps hundreds of nonprofits raise unrestricted funds and connect with new donors, all while providing training and support on storytelling, marketing, donor engagement and stewardship.
May 3, 2019 is dedicated to inspiring our entire community to be generous!
This toolkit is intended to make your participation and campaign planning easy, fun and impactful. We have included all the tips and tricks to make your business campaign successful, authentic and engaging for your stakeholders!
Think about what you are already doing year-round to give back and figure out how Give Local York compliments it OR kick off your business’s giving efforts with this day!
We have included campaign ideas and communications for engaging stakeholders and spreading the word about Give Local York. You will see sample social media posts and sample emails to get you started. AND we are here for you! Got questions or need help brainstorming as you plan, call us!
Together we are creating social good and changing lives, making this area thriving for all.
We can’t wait to Give Local with you!
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let’s Give Local!
- Your campaign can be as simple or elaborate as you can make it.
- You don’t need months and months of planning…unless you want to ☺
- It should be fun and authentic to your company culture or place of business.
- There are many different ways to do this and anyone can get involved.
- And a little friendly competition never hurts…it’s for the community, right?!
How do we get started?
- Register: We will send you a link to sign up your business in a few easy steps. You will get a webpage of your very own too! Send an email for instructions. Deadline: 4/15
- Assign a point person or a small team of employees who are excited about this opportunity.
- Use our tools and create a plan that works for you and your company’s vibe.
- Execute your plan and communicate to your stakeholders!
- Remind them to select the “business” name from the drop down when they make a donation online.
- Watch the givelocalyork.org Business Fundraiser leaderboard and celebrate the generosity you have inspired!!
- Check out this helpful support article on how to access and edit your Business Fundraiser Page!
Now let’s get to planning: Tips for success!
- Visit givelocalyork.org to get familiar with the platform.
- Set a company goal! It could be one or several things: 100% employee participation, a total amount raised; engaging X% of customers to give, or being at the top of the leaderboard.
- Send out a calendar invite or email on May 3rd with Give Local York details to all stakeholders.
- Learn about who is participating. See if your company’s favorite nonprofits are "in" at givelocalyork.org.
- Decide if you plan on matching donations or remember to share information about your existing matching gift program.
- Integrate or tie Give Local York into any other giving activities you already do.
- Get your company excited by announcing your participation through social media, special email and/or your newsletter. Timing of communications and sample posts and emails to follow in this toolkit.
- Remind stakeholders about prizes, leaderboard, and matching. If you are a Give Local York sponsor, be sure to highlight that with your employees. It’s important to show your investment.
- Report back to your employees. Pat your team on the back and say ‘congratulations’ for their participation and the change they’ve made in the community. We will give you instructions on how to pull a giving report closer to the day.
Besides a few communications and blasting social media…what else?
- Host a donation station on site. Set up a Give Local York Giving Spot in your building. Print out our posters and have computers set up for donations.
- Set up a Give Local York Watch Spot where employees can stop by and watch the leaderboard, give, and socialize…you know food always brings people out!
- Set up a competition within your company or coordinate with other companies. Get creative! Divide employees by department or office area. Track competition results at and share team successes internally.
- Involve senior leadership or executives. Can they provide a challenge, match or wear a chicken suit to work if you hit your goal…make a dance video…think fun and engaging!
- Simple storytelling: Share the giving stories of a few employees – where are they giving their time or money and why. You can share on internal channels, social or newsletters.
Let's Get Social!
This day runs on Social Media! First things first, be sure to:
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/givelocalyork & Tag #GiveLocalYork
Follow us on Twitter: @givelocalyork; Re-tweet #GiveLocalYork content.
Post photographs and content on Instagram using the hashtag #GiveLocalYork
Just a few things to remember:
- For Give Local York logos and graphics, posters, printables: https://www.givelocalyork.org/info/downloads
- Always use hashtag #GiveLocalYork and tag @GiveLocalYork (Facebook) or @GiveLocalYork (Twitter)
- Create your own or use an existing internal hashtag.
When and what should I post?
3 weeks out - When you sign up as a business fundraiser!
- We are part of @GiveLocalYork this year! We can’t wait for 5/3! givelocalyork.org (image)
- A little can go a long way when we get together and give together on May 3rd for #GiveLocalYork! We can’t wait!
- Will you be part of #GiveLocalYork on 5/3? We are so excited to be a business fundraiser and supporting the York County community. @GiveLocalYork #GiveLocalYork
- We have made a commitment to giving back on #GiveLocalYork on May 3rd! It’s going to be a BIG day for York County! (company/employee image or video) Join us!
- We are excited to not only sponsor @GiveLocalYork this year! But our employees will be giving too! We can’t wait for 5/3! givelocalyork.org
- We are thrilled to be part of #GiveLocalYork on May 3rd, a 24-hour day of giving to support nonprofits in this area. Stay tuned! @GiveLocalYork (photo of employees volunteering)
- We are thrilled to be a sponsor of #GiveLocalYork on May 3rd, a 24-hour day of giving to support nonprofits in this area. Stay tuned! @GiveLocalYork (photo of employees volunteering)
- Do you know what we will be doing on May 3rd? Participating as a company in #GiveLocalYork. It is one day dedicated to shining a light on the social good in this community. We can’t wait! (photo)
April 15 – April 30
- Mark your calendar for the coolest day of the year, May 3rd! #GiveLocalYork
- Countdown the days until #GiveLocalYork. Our employees are ready – are you?!
- Mark your calendars! Giving back has never been this easy. On May 3rd employees can donate to more than 100 local organizations #GiveLocalYork (Image: Save the Date)
- We are only 1 week away from #GIveLocalYork. Every dollar, no matter the size, counts!
Day of Give Local York: May 3rd
- Today is the day! Let’s show everyone how generous the York County community is! #GiveLocalYork! is here and we are ready! givelocalyork.org
- You have 24-hours to give to #GiveLocalYork! Don’t forget to choose (your company name) at checkout!
- Have you donated during #GiveLocalYork? Our employees are rocking the giving!
- Wow! Our people gave $______ today! #GiveLocalYork. Every dollar is changing lives.
- Let the countdown begin…24hrs to be the most generous you can be! Let’s see how much we can change our part of the world in just 24 hours! givelocalyork.org!
- You have 24-hours to give back through #GiveLocalYork! Our employees are getting in the giving spirit (photo of giving spot or employees)
- Our company focuses on improving our community by investing in (nonprofit sector/ cause area). Some of our favorite nonprofit partners are participating in #GiveLocalYork this year on May 3rd! (insert photo of nonprofit partner)
Facebook: ANNOUNCE IF YOU ARE MATCHING
- We are excited to share that (your company) will be matching employee donations during #GiveLocalYork. Find your cause today on givelocalyork.org
The following emails offer an idea of what you could send to employees and stakeholders to get everyone excited about Give Local York.
If you are a sponsor, insert:
We at X are committed to Give Local York, not only as a sponsor but we will be a first-ever Give Local York Business Fundraiser! That means we will be listed with other local companies on the site and our collective giving as a company will be highlighted and celebrated!
March 15 - March 31
SUBJECT LINE: Are you ready to be generous? (your company) is ready to #GiveLocalYork
May 3rd is dedicated to unleashing our generosity and support more than 150 nonprofits doing the good work to make this community a vibrant place for all. It is the day that York County will come together for Give Local York and we are so excited to be participating.
What is Give Local York, anyway? Produced by The White Rose Leadership Institute, it is an annual day of online giving that happens every May. Last year, a whole bunch of people like you and me gave just under $1.5M to support causes that are important to us...but we can do more! This year the goal is $3M for programs and services that support families, children, seniors, veterans, animals and morere.
IF MATCHING INSERT: Your donations to local nonprofits made on givelocalyork.org will be boosted by (your company). (your company) is offering bonus dollars as an incentive to give (describe how your matching program works ie: dollar for dollar, up to a certain amount, etc.)
Excited yet? So here’s how can you participate:
- Find your cause! Visit givelocalyork.org to explore nonprofits serving our community.
- Make your gift starting on May 3rd at 12 AM. Remember to select (your company) when checking out!
- If so inclined, commit to a nonprofit and become a fundraiser for them. Info about that also on givelocalyork.org!
- Mark your calendar! Add to your google, ical, or outlook calendar. Remember to invite your friends!
- Spread the word! Let your network know about this important (and fun) day and be sure to share who you are supporting. People love hearing that stuff.! And don’t forget to use the hashtag #GiveLocalYork to join the conversation.
Let’s Give Local together!
For questions about Give Local York and how you can get involved, please contact (company contact).
(company contact signature)
April 22 - May 2
SUBJECT LINE: Final countdown to the day that changes lives!
Just one week (or 24 hours) from today on May 3rd, we will all come together for Give Local York and we need YOU to join in the fun and generosity.
Be sure to select (your company) at checkout.
IF MATCHING INSERT: Your donations to local nonprofits will be amplified by (your company) for those 24-hours. (your company) is offering bonus dollars as an incentive to give (describe how your matching program works ie: dollar for dollar, up to a certain amount etc.)
Last year, York County raised $1.4M in just 24 hours! Let’s do even more! Help (your company) make a difference in our community by giving on Give Local York AND spread the word! Share your giving story.
Visit givelocalyork.org to start checking out the local nonprofit organizations participating this year. You can even schedule your gift TODAY!
(INSERT ANY IMPORTANT REMINDERS ABOUT YOUR CAMPAIGN, WATCH SPOT, EVENTS, OR COMPETITION) (EMBED IMAGE)
For questions, please contact (company contact).
(company contact signature)
Thank You Email
The following email offers an idea of what you can send to employees the next day!
SUBJECT LINE: Look what we did!
Thank you for being a part of the big day, Give Local York and helping so many people in the process.
More than ______ employees came together to raise over $________. These important funds will ripple through the area and more importantly changing lives. We did that --together.
We are so fortunate to have you and thank you for supporting our neighbors and the community.
Thank you for sharing your love, being generous and supporting your cause!